02 April 2011


... aka everything that needs to be done before we move aboard!

It has been a hard winter here on midcoast Maine. Lot of snow - and lots of work. We haven't been enjoying the usual winter sports and activities. Instead SS has been working every weekend - all weekend - on the boat and I have been picking up lots of hours at work. However we have (SS has) put an impressive dent in our to do list. This is the first in a series of photo heavy posts chronicling the Winter Work!

The to do list (as written on the side panel..which most likely doesn't match the list in SS's head) reads:
  1. Cabinetry
  2. New roller furler
  3. New canvas
  4. Refrigeration
  5. Radar
  6. Repower
So, to start: REPOWER!

Our new engine:
Universal M25xPB 25hp diesel from Hansen Marine.

We (SS) spent a great deal of time considering the options.

Our requirements:
1. Absolutely not a Yanmar
2. Low RPM

Yup. That's about it. We looked at Beta, Westerbeke, Nanni, dreamed of Perkins (too big). Alas every 25hp engine uses a Kubota block which would not meet criteria 2 (low RPM). So we settled on the Universal, designed for 3000 RPM vs everyone else's 3600. A classic workhorse, now manufactured by Westerbeke we knew we could get parts - and that she would stand the test of time.

ooh shiny!

Despite trying to find the heaviest (read sturdiest stand the test of time-iest) engine available the Universal looks light and tiny in comparison to the retiring Sabb with it's massive fly wheel (which, for the record runs at 1800 RPM). The Universal weighs in at 295lbs vs. the Sabb's 425lbs.

She looks a little bigger swinging from one chain fall to another in midair!

Before the engines could be swapped out glass work was required. The old engine came out, and SS moved the stringers to fit the new smaller footprint.

One of the big problems we had sailing last year was the mizzen mast step. It just wasn't secure enough and flexed.. a lot. The design calls for the shaft to run under the mast step, so with the engine out SS glassed in lateral supports.

The bilge got a lovely new coat of paint at the same time!

There she is, in place. So cute! Behind and to port you can see the new 27 gallon diesel fuel tank, and with it came more glasswork in the form of a secure base with tie down straps. Plus the fuel fill was moved from the starboard to port sides.

The new engine came with a 55 amp stock alternator. Luckily the Sabb had a very nice 100-120 amp Balmar alternator- be it with an archaic external regulator. SS built a new bracket for the larger alternator (see photo) and purchased a new external regulator. He chose a Mastervolt Alpha Pro 12V regulator. He chose the Mastervolt in part because it uses a negative field, however the Balmar was positive field. SS opened up the alternator and changed the field. He explained that in his experience negative field regulators were longer lasting.

Finally the new bronze 3 blade prop from H&H Propeller was placed on the new 1'' Aquamet 22 (really fancy stainless steel) shaft.

Phew! And that only crossed one item off the to do list!

5. Repower

No comments:

Post a Comment