The list as it read after the Shakedown Cruise:
1. Screen drop board
* In progress. Finally. I built the frame, took it out to the boat, fit it, and am now staining it. Hopefully I will have time to attach the screen tomorrow.
a2. Foam dog pillow for the cockpit.
* Took measure -ments, and found an old cockpit cushion which works perfectly.
a3. Non-skid on the sole and locker in the v-berth for paw traction
* Placed an "Oriental" carpet and non-skid rug mat on the sole for improved traction. Immediate results. She happily jumps up onto the v-berth now.
a4. Need mclube for the centerboard turning block
*This was accomplished. Think we used silicon grease rather than spray.
5. Repeat math to determine length of lazy jacks - and purchase line for the 4th lazy jack - which I somehow forget about when rigging the other 3.
*Measured. Then readjusted the existing lazy jacks. They work beautifully, catch and flake the sail. I am thinking about changing overall plan and only bedding 3 eyes (and therefore lazyjacks) per side when we rebuilt the boom this winter.
a6. Put chafe gear on bowsprit at bow roller as shackle tends to bind up.
*Instead of chafe gear I spliced the chain to the line (see below).
a7. Line to chain splice for anchor line.
* I used this tutorial for the splice. Then I used waxed sail thread to whip both ends. Rather a mess over the chain, but effective.
8. Get a smoke bell for the oil lamp to protect the overhead.
* In progress. Smoke bell is purchased, bracket to position bell above the lamp is still in progress.
a9. Rebuild the lavac pump.
*Rebuilt kit acquired and implemented.
a10. Remember to bring handheld GPS onto boat.
11. Get a pencil.
*Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to complete.
a12. First aid kit.
*Updated old first aid kit. Plans to purchase new kit next season.
a13. Boat hook.
*We brought the old hook on the boat, and despite massive corrosion it worked wonderfully. However we are now the proud owners of a brand new boat hook, free of corrosion and cracks!
14. Stopper for the sail slides on the mizzen.
*I think we finally ordered this...
a16. Hand soap for the head.
Out of 16 items I completed 11, 2 are in progress, 1 is postponed and 1 is pending. Not bad.
The big item which has been completed, and which missed the initial list is MORE REEF POINTS!
We have learned a lot about sailing a gaff rigged ketch this summer. The wind has reminded us far more of the Caribbean than Maine, with constant winds of 15 gusting to 30. How to minimize sail, and remain balanced. That is the great question. The boat came with one reef point on the main, the roller furler (reefable) and the mizzen.We have tried:
*Main and jib, no mizzen,
*Reefed main, reefed jib, no mizzen.
*Jib and mizzen, no main.
Those were all of our options. We attempted to beat West past the Southern tip of Cape Rosier with reefed main and jib. Each time we tacked her head would blow off without the balancing action of the mizzen. We had to slack the jib let the stern come around, then attempt to gain the tightest angle on the wind. It was frustrating.
We unbent the mizzen took it home, and I added TWO reefs!
An adventure involving much cursing, (mostly at empty bobbins) and cramped backs. I copied the tack and clew reinforcements, created a pattern, cut out and sewed on the new patches. I chose to place 3 diamond shaped reinforcements for the intermediate reef points. Then SS installed 10 grommets.
We bent the mizzen back on last Saturday. In time for the most beautiful sailing day of the year! (5-10 knots, perfect for a full complement of sail.) So, the new sail plan options remain to be trialed. The winter plan involves adding a second reef point to the main, and looking into the advisability of bending on a storm sail if the need were to arise.